Tuesday, April 16, 2013

As Rivers Close.....


This Morning when I got off work at 7 a.m. the sun had just illuminated the last part of Lake Quinault. The view on the drive home was absolutely spectacular, the lake a golden reflection of the world above. It was the first truly beautiful morning I have seen since last fall, and it was incredibly appropriate. Most sane human beings consider us to be well into spring, but any Steelheader from this area will tell you winter ended at sundown yesterday evening. 

Steelhead season is officially over in my neck of the woods. The big Glacier rivers closed yesterday and it’s an hour drive north or south to find an open river, and to be honest, I would rather stay put. It’s time to put away the spey rods and shank flies and pull out the trout stuff. Time to trade in those 5mil waders for some light weight shorts, and time for me to get some tying done.

The Lake will open soon, and I couldn’t help but trace the trolling lines in my head as I drove up the south shore this morning. The new flatwing inspired streamers I have tied up are shaking in my box, although as I hinted earlier I need to stop experimenting at the vise and start stocking my trout stuff. 
I am sad to see steelheading go, and was almost depressed until I drove over the Lower Quinault bridge and noticed the lake outlet was completely covered in rise forms.

Bring on spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment