Friday, July 13, 2012

Action Needed

“The plain truth is that boats on these relatively small rivers leave a fish no place to hide, no sanctuary. Every square yard of good water is covered, if not by one boat then by the next, and the fish are harried and chased from one end of the river to the other.” -- Syd Glasso


The wild steelhead coalition has released some VERY intriguing rule proposals concerning our steelhead rivers. Particularly the rule proposing to ban drift boats on certain parts of the Qullayute and Hoh systems. You can view them HERE

Although I am a tad concerned with the displaced drift boatmen ending up on the Queets and Quinault and making life more crowded for me, I think this is a VERY important first step. Especially for rivers designated Wild and Scenic, I'm not sure how WIld and Scenic a river can be when a parade of drift boats is in constant procession.

Our part in this is to communicate our support. We need to get to emailing department officials and Senators and whoever has an email and some power in this. 

I never knew Syd Glasso, but I think he would be proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment